Pages

Friday, September 23, 2016

Year of WIPs!

While skipping around on FlossTube – the amazing stitching folks on YouTube – I was linked to this video. I'd never seen Melanie's vids before and I was intrigued. I looked up the group on Facebook (It's a closed group, but (link) please check it out!) and once I was accepted, did a bit of browsing. The ladies – I don't think I've seen any gents posting – are all wonderful, warm-hearted folk. I also learned more about the Year of WIPs. It runs from October 1, 2016, through December 31, 2017. I decided to do this for these reasons:
  •  I still have WIPs from this year's MAY-Nia that have been gathering dust
  • I need a kick in the pants to get some WIPs finished
  • I've desperately wanted to start a HAED (Heaven and Earth Designs) project for months. 
My hubby is very budget conscious, and I'm not, so he suggested that I finish off some projects before going through the cost of kitting the HAED I have in mind. I mentioned the Year of WIPs to him and after explaining what WIPs are, then explaining what a Facebook group is – he's technologically inept, but he's adorable about it – he thought it was a grand idea. And he said that if I finish at least three of my WIPs before the year's end, he'll buy the things needed for my HAED. YAY!

Side note: Yes, I discuss purchasing stash with my husband. We are a one-income family, and it's his income. Anything over, say, $15 or so, I always clear with him. He takes care of the budget, I take care to not go over it…too much.

Anyway, my next feat was deciding which of my WIPS to focus on. I have quite a few but sadly I've lost the inspiration for several of them. One, a stocking, I actually frogged completely to use the cloth on another project. Sigh. But, I came up with ten projects. In no particular order, and showing my 
starting point come October 1st, they are:
Lizzie Kate - Meow!

Meow! Flip-It by Lizzie Kate
(Stitching on 28 ct Evenweave)

Lizzie Kate - Woof!

Woof! Flip-It by Lizzie Kate
(Stitching on 28 ct Evenweave)

Nursery Rhymes - Star

Nursery Rhymes – Star
(From June 2016 Just Cross Stitch magazine – Designed by Sharon Pope)
(Stitching on 14 ct Aida)

Thanksgiving Penguins

Thanksgiving Penguins
(From December 2016 JSC – Designed by Eileen Gurak)
(Stitching on 28 ct Evenweave)

Lavender & Lace - Angel of the Morning

Angel of the Morning by Lavender & Lace
(Stitching on 32 ct Antique White Jobelan)

Bucilla - Benji Tiger

Benji Tiger – Kit by Bucilla

Janlynn - Four Seasons Chairs

Four Seasons Chairs – Kit by Janlynn

The Little Mermaid

Thomas Kinkade's The Little Mermaid – Kit by MCG

Bucilla - Footprints

Footprints – Kit by Bucilla

Design Works - Kitty Trio

Kitty Trio – Kit by Design Works


Most of these were started back in May – Penguins, Star, Meow, Woof, Footprints, Four Seasons, and Angel of the Morning – during MAY-Nia. Little Mermaid is my oldest WIP: it was started December 14, 2015. Not too old as WIPs go, I've seen some that people have had in their stash for 20+ years, but I really thought I would have finished it by now. Maynia sort of burned me out, and over the summer I spent very little time stitching. I'm sure you all know the feeling.

I'm looking forward to getting these WIPs out of the way, especially the smaller ones, as they're planned Christmas gifts. I'm so excited for next Saturday to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment